Friday, September 30, 2011

Titles that I am currently reading











Now that I have made a "plug" for library cards, I thought that I would share with you the books that I am currently reading. Yes, that is right, "books". I usually have two or three books that I read at one time.








The first book is "Arc of Justice" by Kevin Boyle. The book takes place during the 1920's when the jazz age was popular in Detroit. Negroes were not welcomed in some areas and the KKK often caused tension and violence. Ossian Sweet was a Negroe doctor who made his way from the ghetto to an all-white neighborhood. One day a mob gathered outside his house and shots rang out. Sweet, or one of his defenders had killed one of the whites that was threatening their lives and home. This event began a murder trial for Sweet which documents the the violence in America in the 1920's. I won't give away the ending of the book as this book has been chosen as the 2011-2012 Great Michigan Read by the Michigan Humanities Council.

Look for a book discussion at Hillsdale Community Library the week of November 14th. We will have multiple copies available for checkout the week of October 10th.









The second book that I am reading is "Jeannie Out of the Bottle" by Barbara Eden. Ms. Eden starred in the sitcom "I Dream Of Jeannie" and she shares the story of her career as well as her personal life in this book. I would definitely recommend the book to those who watched the show, shall we say...a few years ago!



No comments:

Post a Comment