Friday, September 30, 2011

What is the value of your library card?

Recently, I was in a conversation with another librarian and the topic was the value of a library card. Do you realize what a "bargain" a library card is?

A library card is available to you at no cost if you live within our service area. If you do not live within our service area, a library card from Hillsdale Community Library is $35 per year. Yes, that does seem like a huge expense but if you do the math, this averages to 0.095 cents per day!
Quite a bargain if you ask me!

What "value" does your library card give you? The "value" that the library card gives you is the ability to check out books, magazines, audio books, videos, and other materials that may not be readily available to you. If we do not have the item that you are looking for, we may be able to interloan it from another library through MeL (Michigan eLibrary Catalog). You can also use the computers at the library or, if you prefer, bring in your laptop to use.

I have always loved libraries. I used to get "kicked out" of the library on Saturdays when I was a teen. I was not being disruptive, it was time for the library to close and I had lost track of time by taking a book off the shelf and reading it right there at the library.

I invite you to discover the value of your library card. If you do not have a card with us, please stop in the library and sign up to receive a card.

No comments:

Post a Comment